Home heating costs can add up quickly, but there are some things you can do to help offset those costs. Here are our top 7 energy-efficient heating tips for homeowners.
Top Heating Tips:
- During winter, set your programmable thermostat as low as is comfortable and turn it down when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Change your furnace filter(s) once a month or as recommended.
- Consider cleaning your heat registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed. Make sure they aren't blocked by furniture, carpet, or drapes.
- Get rid of the trapped air under and around your hot water radiators at least once season. If you don't know how to do this, consult a professional!
- Radiator reflectors are ideal for helping to keep a home warmer during the winter months. The reflectors are designed to improve the comfort level of any room by reducing the transfer of heat between exterior walls and the radiator.
- Cut down on utility waste when cooking and cleaning by turning off fans 20 minutes after you've finished (to prevent re-circulation). Consider upgrades such as high-efficiency, low-noise models.
- During winter, keep your window coverings open during the day to allow sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
For even more tips like this: